High Intensity Laser Therapy is a key component to the successful outcomes that we achieve at Joint & Spine in Antigo, Wisconsin.
High Intensity Laser Therapy (HILT) is an FDA-cleared, non-invasive, drug-free therapy that does more than just treat the symptoms of chronic pain, it actually promotes healing. HILT delivers a soothing, healing light energy to the root of the pain and is unique in its ability to penetrate through bone, soft tissues, and muscle to treat tissues at the cellular level.
The Class IV, medical grade, therapeutic lasers used at Joint & Spine offers many benefits to those suffering from chronic pain. HILT can:
- Reduce pain – HILT suppresses pain signals and encourages the release of endorphins (the body’s natural pain killers).
- Minimize swelling – HILT controls inflammation after trauma, stress, or overuse.
- Soften scar tissue – When you are injured, your body heals with scar tissue. Scar tissue is a tight, fibrous network of tissue (that’s why you feel stiff). It is less elastic, has poor circulation, is sensitive to pain, and is prone to re-injury. The laser can soften scar tissue so that the doctor can work with the tissue to help stretch it back out. This results in easier movement and better mobility.
- Speed healing – HILT boosts your immune system to encourage cell regeneration. Similar to how a plant converts sunlight into food, the cells of your body convert the laser light into nutrients for your cells. This increases blood flow and metabolic activity which, in turn, stimulates DNA and RNA regeneration - actually healing damaged tissues.
HILT offers relief for a variety of conditions, including:
• Low back pain
• Neck pain and headaches
• Shoulder pain
• Nerve pain
• Plantar Fasciitis
• Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
• Tennis Elbow
• and many other conditions
If you have been told that you need surgery, or have had a previous surgery, laser therapy may be right for you.
Trusted by Professional Athletes
The lasers that we use in our Antigo chiropractic office are the very same lasers that Dr. Curt Draeger uses in Green Bay WI. There, he uses HILT therapy on a variety of professional athletes including: Ashton Eaton (Gold Medal Olympic decathlete, London 2012), Trey Hardee (Silver Medal Olympic decathlete, London 2012), Bryan Clay (Gold Medal Olympic decathlete, Beijing 2008), professional football players from nearby Green Bay, and professional baseball players.
A Different Type of Laser
The Class IV, medical grade 60 watt, therapeutic lasers used at Joint & Spine are truly unique. Other chiropractors offer Cold Laser Therapy that uses 0.5 watts of power, also known as low-level laser therapy. In the past, we offered that too. But we found that it wasn’t having the results that we desired. That’s partially because cold lasers can only penetrate about one-half inch deep below the skin’s surface.
That’s when our founder Dr. Curt Draeger went to work with a leading physicist to help develop, design, and build the High Intensity Lasers that we use today. Our lasers can penetrate much deeper below the skin’s surface (up to three inches deep) to deliver healing energy to the root of the pain.
Additionally, we’ve found our most recent generation of high intensity laser, the one Dr. Curt took with him to treat the Team USA decathletes in London, to be even more effective than its predecessors - offering these benefits:
- Deeper tissue penetration – the light energy from this laser is six times stronger than before, delivered via a narrower wavelength. This enables the light to reach deeper into the damaged tissue to get to areas we were previously not able to treat.
- More treatment in the same amount of time – before, we were able to treat an area the size of a quarter, now we can treat an area up to the size of a volleyball. That means that we are able to treat both the primary area and secondary surrounding tissue (muscles, bones, ligaments, nerves, and joints). That’s important, because when the tissues that surround the injured area are treated, they lend more support and help to stabilize the injured area.
- Soothing heat – the concentrated light energy provides a penetrating heat and a soothing, sedative experience.
- Longer lasting results – laser treatments that are six times stronger, reach deeper into the cellular tissue, and treat secondary areas will have longer lasting results than treatments with other lasers.
“Pain relief was immediate with the new laser. The other laser helped me, but not like the new laser. With this new laser, he would first touch sore spots with this hand, which were very sore, then use the laser. When checking back again, he would touch the same sore area and there was less or no pain.” — Joan, Antigo
Not every treatment option is right for every patient. One of our doctors will recommend the combination of treatment options that is best suited for your individual situation.